Monday, June 29, 2009

Inspiration: Christien Meindertsma







Yes, Crochet Week is over, and no, I haven't moved on to knitting just yet... but this is such a sumptuous find that I couldn't help touching on a spot of knitting inspiration just for today. This is the amazing work of Christien Meindertsma and, more particularly, her Design for a Living World project for The Nature Conservency. These divine pieces are all hand made from an organic flock of Panama sheep from Lava Lake Ranch in Idaho. There's a YouTube interview with Christien regarding this project right here. I'm so in awe of the size of the needles and yarn – they are just incredible. Don't you just want to wrap yourself in it and roll around?! Must stay focussed on my crochet for now ;) 
I found this via a very lovely blog called Abundance.

6 comments:

My Handmade Heart // Nikki Croft said...

Gorgeous! I just love chunky knits and oversized knitting needles. I heard about someone knitting with broomstick handles a few years back. Sounds Challenging!

Thanks for all your lovley comments Kylie! I wish i lived in Brisbane, we might be able to form a Group for "Non-Group Doers and Socially Awkward Crafty types" Thanks again.

Kylie said...

You made me laugh! That does sound like my kind of group! ;)
Take care. K

Andrea, the little collector said...

Wow, that is fantastic. Looks like a knitting workout!

annamaria potamiti said...

This is totally ...unique! Did you see the June issue of World of Interiors? They feature a wool artist you would appreciate(I think), she is called Kate Jenkins, I tried so many times to link up to the gallery site but couldn't so I couldn't post about it in my blog- but take a look at her work if you can- she's great-(Rebecca Hossack Art Gallery-London)

Kylie said...

Thanks for the great comments everyone - chunky knits are just amazing, aren't they? I just looked up Kate Jenkins, Caramela, and she is just incredible - so many gorgeous pieces! Thanks for the tip - you're a pretty good finder yourself, you know! Thanks... Kylie

Mitsy / ArtMind said...

I'm longing to do a chunky crochet and this makes me want to start right away! Amazing! :)