Thursday, April 23, 2009

Crafty Art - Michael Raedecker



I've always found myself drawn to mixed media art works. I love the way the mediums play with each other to layer meaning into a piece. I guess it should come as no surprise that my first choice for 3 sheets Featured Artist should be one who uses thread, embroidery and applique in his canvases - Dutch artist, Michael Raedecker.
An added touch for me is that his work is to open in an exhibition at the Camden Arts Centre in London from 1st May (I used to work there!). This retrospective collection from the last 8 years includes still lifes, landscapes and flower paintings. Raedecker's original drawings are sourced from second-hand books, magazines, film stills and photographs. He layers these with paint, wool and thread to build a palette of atmospheric intensity which references the domestic. Any lucky London-types reading can see this exhibition until 28th June this year.

No comments: