Friday, March 19, 2010

V&A Quilt lovin'

One of my favourite places in the world, and one of my favourite sites in the blogisphere, is the V&A. I love this place. That I used to work there (in the National Art Library) adds an extra thrill to the feeling of this being 'my place', if you know what I mean? I receive their monthly subscriber emails with updates of their exhibitions and what's in the shop etc. This month's update was a wonderful treat... the new exhibition is called Quilts 1700 - 2010 and, as always, they have an abundance of support merchandise in the V&A Shop which definitely comes under the 'covetable' banner :) They have books about quilting, how-to books and stationery, but best of all, the V&A have teamed up with Liberty Art Fabrics to offer a broad range of divine textiles for sale in either fat quarter, half meter or meterage lengths. Here are my favourites...












If you're lucky enough to be heading over to London in the next couple of months, the exhibition runs from 20th March till 4th July 2010. Find out more about the exhibition here.

Sorry if this reads like an ad for the V&A - my intention is only to share this wonderful site and show you some crafty things you might be interested in. Have a lovely weekend :)

15 comments:

Tania said...

I designed some exhibition signage for the V&A eight or so years ago and like you, I hold great affection for the place. However, I’ll admit to being somewhat relieved at the pending return to Australia when the brief came in to design ALL the directional signage for the ENTIRE place. That place is a rabbit warren (of treasures)!

mizu designs said...

Agreed - a wonderful place!

Christina Lowry said...

Words are not enough to describe it! How truly wonderful. I want to see the exhibition and buy every piece of that fabric! :)

posie blogs Jennie McClelland said...

Oh wow, how amazing & i can only imagine . . . the quilting would be so dreamy. Love Posie

Kate Kelleher said...

This is a wondefful space, and I hope to visit this exhabition soon. A gem.

ECOINSPIRED said...

I happen to be spending a week in London in mid April so will definitely go along to the V&A......I'm not a quilter but any textiles I get excited about so it will be wonderful to see what they have there.

Love your music by the way.

Kickcan & Conkers said...

A definite fav too Kylie. It really must have been a wonderful experience to work there.
I'd like to catch this exhbition if I can in April.

Karen Lewis Textiles said...

I've been trying to resist the temptations of buying some of those stunning fabrics...but with beautiful posts like this it's getting harder and harder! I'm really hoping to make the exhibition too...be gutted if I miss it x

annamaria potamiti said...

If only I could- There are so many fabulous reasons to visit London- and this is a very very strong one too- I love the V&A!-have done for some time-
Annamaria xx

Kate said...

Oh my goodness -those fabrics! Eeep!!!

mieke willems said...

sounds like a wonderful place! lucky you to have worked there!

at swim-two-birds said...

yes it is definitely a wonderful place, thanks for sharing:)

Ingrid Mida said...

Don't apologize for loving the V&A. I love it too. How lucky you were to work there.

Izabela said...

all the great colors and patterns, thanks for the idea, will go there definitely...

nadine paduart said...

oh great! it's running till july... thx for announcing this.