Friday, March 26, 2010

Make Do + Mend: Quilt dress

Sorry I've been a bit absent lately. There's been a lot going on but I have been making in between the chaos...


Basically, I've been making lots of frills. Very simple sewing but so fiddly! The thing about frills (as you probably already know) is that they require a lot of fabric. Average fabric widths tend to be a tad restrictive, but this was great because the fabric I used was from a quilt cover... I know, so naff but I really loved the fabric. It's a light cotton in a gorgeous denim-like colour. No pattern - I just had an idea of what I wanted and began cutting. Maybe it was because I was working on it in snippets whenever I could grab a few minutes, I had more time to think about things before I jumped in... In any case, it was one of the lucky times when things actually turned out (I think)...



I also hand embroidered a flower form on the bodice - now, this was fun... I also made this up as I went along and (unbelievably) it worked...


Tried to take a pic of myself wearing it, and (believably) it didn't work! This still remains a skill I need to master ;) Have a great weekend.


18 comments:

mel @ loved handmade said...

WOW! That is a gorgeous dress, I do love frills, they are my weakness! Your embroidered flower is divine, beautiful work.

Jeana Marie said...

looks great Kylie!

Kate Kelleher said...

It looks fabulous, I like the blurred shot! What a talent you have.

Jennie said...

I love it! The fabric looks great - and repurposed! I think that photo is pretty cool - it looks like you're dancing in your new dress!

Kate said...

Incroyable!
I love this Kylie - you look amazing in it,too! Wow, wow, wow!

red or gray art said...

what style ..what stitching..you amaze me!

Gina said...

Now THAT is a champion upstyling effort. I've been adding frills to aprons recently and it's driven me nuts, but I do love the effect... well done, getting through so many.

The embroidery is fabulous too. And I think the picture of you is great... surely the smudgy effect just equals 'artsy', right?!

Anonymous said...

such a gorgeous dress how clever are you it is amazing!!!!

Nick said...

You love to re-purpose that bed linen. Soon your linen cupboard will be empty!
That is a fabulous dress. You are so brave! Very elegant and individual.

june at noon said...

Color me impressed! I just made my first ruffles last week, and I learned they can certainly be fiddly, but really easier than they look. I can't believe you did that all with no pattern! Good on you!

Anna Bartlett said...

well that is lovely. and through the blur - still very flattering. Well done!

Cindy said...

What an effort! It turned out beautiful Kylie....love the embroidery x

annamaria potamiti said...

It looks amazing on you Kylie! I see you are using your birthday present! Wonderful! I love the embroidery-
Annamaria xx

Mitsy / ArtMind said...

Beautiful dress and then I haven't mentioned the embroidery yet! GORGEOUS! Happy weekend! :)

Izabela said...

beautiful! this dress is gorgeous! and I am jealous of your sewing skills

x

Mia said...

A winner! Plus I really like the photo.
Luna x

blue moss said...

soooooo wonderful! i lvoe ruffles and i love it!
you are amazing
:)

Bird Bath said...

wow! stunning stuff - so many things to love about this dress. First the lovely colour/texture of the quilt cover - it looks like my favourite charcoal shade, the ruffles and the embroidered flower. All so good.