Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Textiles: Japanese Boro







I realise there have been many posts about the amazing art of Boro, but I couldn't let my textiles week go by without a mention. Aren't they exquisite? Boro textiles were made in the late 19th century and early 20th century in Japan from recycled indigo-dyed rags that have been handed down through each generation. I love this idea of family provenance - a visual piecing together of family history. You can see in the examples above how they were added to piece-by-piece with patches as they became available. The reverence with which they are now regarded is unsurprising as they have become objects of history yet also as collages that document the soul of a family. I find myself very much fueled with inspiration for patchwork by looking at these. I think it's the chaotic nature of them that appeals. If you'd like to see more you can find them here.

16 comments:

mel @ loved handmade said...

I love that they are made from sentimental pieces, passed down through the generations...beautiful...thanks for sharing.

mizu designs said...

Aren't they just amazing?

Alisa said...

How wonderful, I've seen this technique before but didn't realize it had a name and was such a poignant art form in it's own right. Thanks Kylie, am really loving your textiles week. : )

Mia said...

So stunning - have not seen or heardof these before. So rich in all meanings of the word. Loving all these textile posts!

Mitsy / ArtMind said...

I'm so glad you posted these, Kylie. Had never heard of them before - it's absolutely gorgeous!

Gina said...

How I love boro, the texture is amazing, the wonkiness sings, the layers and movement just thrill me. OK I will stop now.

Fine Little Day said...

I love this!

Kate Kelleher said...

This is interesting Kylie, I did not know about boro either. I really like the idea of handing things down through the family. Although when my mother in law got out the long lace frock that was over 100 years old for my son to be christened in I was a little dubious! Never the less, into it he went. Ha

at swim-two-birds said...

Oh yes, i love these textiles too! and indigo is my favourite color :)
nice you are coming to Antwerp, so we can meet!
is it a holiday are a business trip?

red or gray art said...

did . you . know . i . swoon . at . this :))))

new
to
me
as
well

Mia said...

Kylie - thanks for your last comments on my blog. Hysterical! Have left a reply. PS you dont have all the blog feeds on your post anymore? Thats was my biggest time waster in the mornings - but in a good way!!! :)
Luna X

Clair said...

Actually the thing that appeals to me most about traditional patchwork is the sentimental value of the pieces and the idea that many of the patches were once much loved items.

Cat said...

Well they may be around Kylie but I've never seen anything about it and I'm so glad you posted because they are, as you say, exquisite. Such emotive work. Thank you. xo

Anna Bartlett said...

I've never seen this either kylie, and just this week I decided to save any jeans my kids grow out of - and use them for other projects. Your timely post is really inspiring!

sampling said...

Did you sign up for the workshop at beautifulsilks, in Melbourne? Yoshiko Wada is doing a workshop on this in Aug. I think they are taking names for waiting list.

mieke willems said...

supernice!