Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Textiles: Nendo






Next up in my textile odyssey is another amazing innovation, this time from Japanese designers Nendo. Blown Fabric was launched last year for the development of new lamp shapes. Made of a thermoplastic non-woven polyester fibre, they use a process similar to that of glass-blowing to construct these light hollow forms. Obviously I'm biased, but I keep seeing these as gorgeous floating frock creations :) Can you imagine this textile in a multitude of light-as-air frills in a dress? The fibre apparently catches the light, as well as being rip-proof. What I love most about it though is that it is impossible to totally control the moulding of the forms, so each piece is an absolutely unique shape... Are we approaching the full circle from the Industrial Revolution where man-made now seeks to resemble nature rather than merely replace it? You can read more about the amazing Blown Fabric here.

6 comments:

Tania said...

Goodness. Exquisite. And it’s not because I am biased that I am seeing jellyfish - probably just that there is an underwater-obsessed middle kid chez Myrtle and Eunice.

mieke willems said...

this is so very very nice!! thanks for the link kylie!

Veja cecilia said...

love this!

Karen Lewis Textiles said...

Wow, that is something else, Kylie! What an invention!

Ange said...

That is certainly an amazing invention. I can see myself wearing it (useless at sewing) and would ADORE to make some lampshades out of it for my lamp creations. WOW! The possibilities... Finally got my project handed in and now I'm off in dream land.
PS - Aussie may not have bunnies, but France doesn't have colourful birds flying everywhere either ;-) My kids think you all are so lucky to have lorikeets that come and eat of the verandahs.... Let's keep it a secret though hey ;-)

Unknown said...

wow, wow! Amazing!