Sunday, January 31, 2010

Sunday Stash: Homemaker tableware


I don't think Sunday Stash is operating as a meme anymore but I thought I'd do my own today today anyway. This is a very special stash to me. Found at a second-hand store here in Brisbane, six original 'Homemaker' plates from Ridgeway Potteries Ltd (Staffordshire). I love them.


They were designed in 1957 by Enid Seeney as an affordable range of tableware especially for the Woolworths stores. All the plates are stamped on the back with the year they were produced and mine range from 1962 till 1968. The range was produced until 1970.


Designer Enid Seeney studied at the Burslem School of Art and did her apprenticeship at the Spode Copeland works, where she learned to paint and gild ceramics. The random domestic items and furniture she placed in this design are apparently other design classics from that time, including a Robin Day armchair, a Sigvard Bernadotte sofa and a Bernard Russell sideboard.


I did a bit of web-wandering to see if they were still available and it seems they've become collectors' items now (with prices to match, of course!) If my Valentine is reading, I'd love some matching cup and saucers and a teapot! ;) Aren't they just exquisite? Love my plates :) Do you have a favourite ceramic find?



17 comments:

posie blogs Jennie McClelland said...

Wow what finds, check out the furniture styles, brilliant. Love Posie

small forest said...

I was quite happy to come across this jug recently. It is large enough to make a statement and is currently holding pens!

http://thetexturedleaf.blogspot.com/2010/01/finds.html

june at noon said...

Those are very cool.

I still remember the Woolworth's that used to be in our town. We very rarely would go there to eat with my mom and an elderly friend of hers, and it was such a special treat!

red or gray art said...

i love the retro modern feel to them and the black and white...a great find.

I always seem to "adopt" pitchers/creamers or coffee/tea cups

blue moss said...

i love them so much...

Unknown said...

What a fabulous find! I just love these plates, they are so fascinating. I'm hosting a little meme over at my blog all about second hand finds, perhaps you might like to play along with this lovely treasure.
Sophie x

flowerpress said...

Bright green with envy here. Never seen these, how fantastic!

Mitsy / ArtMind said...

Super fascinating collector's item you have there! Lucky you!

gilliecoco said...

how funny to see this crockery after all these years! my auntie mabel used to work for woolworths and she had the whole set! it is a real memory of my childhood because i just loved going to her house and it all seemed so wildly modern even though auntie mabel and uncle ken werent!!

Beck said...

Hey Kylie, Ilove your plates, they hold so much history & are so decorative as well. I've enjoyed looking through your blog tonight, see you soon xo

Kimbesa said...

Like the graphic nature of this pattern...great find! I've found Ridgway in my travels, but not this one.

This would go great on many vintage-theme party table settings, and starting point for ideas to set tea parties with the girl friends, too.

Thanks for posting this!

Karen Lewis Textiles said...

What a stunning collection, Kylie. Love it love it love it!

at swim-two-birds said...

wow, love this style!!!
great find Kylie!

handmade romance said...

awesome find! hope your valentines in reading for you too ; ) the cups and teapot are pretty fantastic!

inaluxe said...

Oh they look amazing. I love that they are just black and white too. I have a few favourite finds, some of which I keep meaning to blog about, but time seems to get away from me. One of these days! :) I have a particular thing for west german ceramics, and I did go through a murano glass thing some time back, but not so much now.

Ange said...

Gorgeous plates and wonderful cushions! Long live FEB! As you can see - I'm still somewhere between Jan and Feb. Haven't made the transition ;-)

mieke willems said...

wow! nice find! so special!!