Saturday, May 9, 2009

Make Do + Mend: Sheet Dress



It probably seems like a strange Make Do + Mend project... maybe it's more common than I realise? I decided to downscale on the huge amount of bed linen I had in one bursting cupboard. Some of the sheets were so lovely and in such good condition that I just couldn't face throwing them out. So, they were added to the mountains of fabric in my work room. I just thought they'd be perfect if there was a design or particular skill I wanted to trial. (Actually, truth be told, I've never actually learned to sew and my entire experience with sewing has been one of trial and error!)
Anyway, I had a hankering for a fully gathered skirt and needed a practice run..... and this is it! I love the red and white stripes, the plain bodice design and how they provide a foil for the frivolous girlishness of a fully gathered skirt. Best of all, I didn't have to throw out these fab sheets! 

(p.s. that's a plastic snake in the kaffir lime tree to keep the possums away!)

2 comments:

blue moss said...

i love it...i have a pile of vintage sheets that i need to do something fabulous with
thanks for the inspiration

Kylie said...

Thanks Michelle! I forgot to mention the downside... sheet fabric is quite heavy and making a full skirt from it is probably not the brightest idea I've ever had(!)... It's a great dress but a bit heavy. K x