Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Paris: new/old

The girls were so excited about Paris... recognising icons and linking in with 
history lessons made it such an informed part of the trip for them. Basically, 
it was all about the Eiffel Tower, the Mona Lisa and the Palace of Versailles 
for them.




For us, it was seeing things anew through their eyes... I kept thinking how Paris 
is the ultimate postmodern city - the new sits so well amongst the old, and both 
are everywhere interacting in different ways.





As it happens, this very concept was being played out at the Palace of Versailles 
where they had an exhibition on 18th century fashion, showing original pieces 
juxtaposed with modern interpretations by the likes of Vivienne Westwood, 
Alexander McQueen, Comme des Garcons etc. 








It was heavenly. My fingers were itching to see how pieces had been constructed. 
I would have loved some displays showing how the patterns crossed over, but 
unfortunately, even lingering was a difficult exercise in these rooms... the long 
walk to the Grand Trianon where the exhibition was hosted meant that only the 
diehard fans attended... they were many and they were ferocious in their elbowing 
to get the best view! ;) This was the other exhibition where no photos were allowed, 
so the pictures above are borrowed from here.


We took plenty of photos around the rest of Versailles though... ;)





We covered a lot of ground whilst in Paris, mostly walking from one site to the next... 
but Versailles took up an entire day. It was massive, especially the grounds which 
were so breathtaking.





As much as I loved visiting the 18th century (particularly the fashion exhibition) I 
have to admit that my heart belongs to the 'modern' era, ie. 1905 - 1960... Hardly 
surprising then that favourite place in Paris was for me the Pompidou Centre.





I love this place... I love the building... I love the art... it is perfection :)
Kupka, Sonia Delaunay... all my favourites were there...





There was also some fabulous street art out and about too. I know it's quite an 
unpopular form of art, but I love it. It's often so clever. Again I admire how it works 
by playing the old off against the new.





Okay, I'm sure anyone who is still reading these posts is heartily tired of it all.
Thanks for bearing with me. I guess this blog is as much a journal for me as well as 
a place where I can show things I think you might like... So, travel posts are over. ;)


I'll leave you with a YouTube clip about the Versailles exhibition, 18th Century Back 
in Fashion:


12 comments:

Jennie said...

What a fabulous experience for the girls. So amazing to see those famous pieces in real life!xx

Mitsy / ArtMind said...

I'm so glad you are sharing your journey with us, Kylie! I loved reading about Paris. Even though I'm so close and keep saying we should go there again, we keep postponing...
That exhibition looks amazing!

Karen Lewis Textiles said...

Not bored at all! If I can't get there myself just yet, I'll live it vicariously through you ;-) I am dying to take the children to Paris and as you say, seeing it through their eyes is so refreshing and magical. Can't wait for London next ...;-) x

ElisabethAndrée said...

How nice that you share this story and photo's with us. It's good to see what a fine family you have and that you enjoy together this incredible journey and experience. XO

C said...

Paris is amazing! You look like you had an amazing time you lucky duckies! x

june at noon said...

What fun. And that street art is great!

Mia said...

Wow - I've been a little MIA - had no idea you were having such an adventure. What an extroadinary experience - all that art - soooooo green with you know what! :)

belinda marshall said...

thinking back to what you said about london being your special place and my first thought is that paris {particularly the pompidou centre} might be mine. either that or it could be somewhere i've not yet been to!
glad you are sharing these with us xx

Cindy said...

Your travel posts a great Kylie. I absolutely love the street art!
It's nice to have the blog as an online journal - I treat mine that way too.

annamaria potamiti said...

I am so happy you got to visit all these ownders so I get to see some of them too! The exhibition in Versailles sounds absolutely fascinating!
(By the way, your daughters look so grown up and gorgeous!!)
:)XX

Selina said...

It's been so long since I popped in here!! I was in Paris this year too, in April (feels like a lifetime ago!) and you've just brought it all back! Thank you! I must say I wish that that fashion exhibit was on when I was at the Palace, would have been fabulous!

xx

www.finelittleday.com said...

They are so big now your beautiful girs :) Paris looks fun and lovely through your eyes. Wish I can go there to some day.