Thursday, October 27, 2011

Our Creative Spaces: Playing with New Technique

I've been doing lots of playing this week... experimenting with just what works 
(and doesn't) with the new-to-me crochet technique I posted on last week.



Play 1: Multiple colours and creating shapes and shading.
So, multiple colours (I had three going at once) was straight forward.
Creating shapes wasn't too bad (as long as you don't mind a fuzzy definition!) 
but shading didn't really work. 







Play 2: One colour small shapes.
This was very easy and much more effective. The shapes still don't have definition 
but instead look like paint dabs, which I rather like. I like the little speckly peeks of
colour you can see in the spaces in between too :)





Play 3: I did try text too but it was just terrible AND I forgot to take a photo before
madly unravelling it all... sorry ;)


Anyway, I feel like I understand the limitations of this technique a bit more.
I also added bits here and there so I can make something useful out of it...
I'm thinking it could make a cute pencil case if I fold up the halves and crochet a
couple of panels for the sides? 
Just an idea... you may see it in the shop one day ;)


Hope you've had a great week... Find more creative spaces here.





p.s. I have a 500 posts giveaway that will be drawn this Sunday 30th October.


p.p.s. There's also a Pay it Forward happening if you're keen?




UPDATE
I have crocheted sides and have an almost pencil case.
All it needs now is some lining and a zipper....



22 comments:

belinda marshall said...

oooh!! i love it!
thinking it would look beautiful as wall hanging!
gorgeous xx

teddybearswednesday said...

Kylie I love your playings, just beautiful.
and found this post very fascinating and helpful too xo

Ingrid Mida said...

Play can lead to unexpected and delightful outcomes.....
What fun Kylie. I really like these colours!

Evie said...

this is ace! what a nice time it looks like you are having experimenting and discovering this new technique. cant wait to see where else you go with it!!

Naturally Carol said...

I think these patterns have come out really well..just love the dots, big and small!

Flaming Nora said...

I still have absolutely no idea how you do this. I've looked at your explanation a couple of times, but... Guess I'm just a sewer at heart. Crochet is like a beautiful exotic foreign language to me. I love the way this experiment looks.

Karen Lewis Textiles said...

Kylie, I just love this and I instantly thought of zipper pouches when I saw the first pic...well, you know me! Just gorgeous. Could see it as a beautiful cushion cover too with all over funky spots ;-) x

Anonymous said...

just loving your spots and i agree about a cushion cover,beautiful...what are the cute creatures by the way ?

Mia said...

every little thing she does is magic....

KERRY said...

Fantastic Kylie, I really love this. And so original too...I’ve not seen anything else like it. x

ElisabethAndrée said...

My compliments to you, Kylie! It turned out very very pretty! Love the pencil case a lot, well done!!!!

Salsa said...

I'd almost forgotten how much I love orange and pink together. So lovely.

lamina @ do a bit said...

It looks sooo excellent!! I really like to learn that technique... is there anywhere on line that shows it?

Love the pencil case :)

june at noon said...

I love the paint dabs! It would definitely be a great pencil case.

Jennie said...

Love these spots of colour -
you are so clever!!!! I bet that takes some thinking about!xx

Sally said...

It looks fabulous as a pencil case. Lovely for sure.

Tania said...

I'm especially loving those specklies peeking out in a pixelly sort of fashion...(love how you think up something extraordinary and then RUN WITH IT).

www.finelittleday.com said...

Oh me too, love this :) Beautiful and playful. How nice that you are trying new techniques, inspiring!

(My tights):
http://www.monki.com/Shop/Pants/Addison/13220-279077.1

deux chiens et un garcon said...

Your crochet is like art.
x

Unknown said...

Hello dear Kylie... :)
I just spotted this vintage crochet cushion on Etsy and immediately thought of you... hopefully you will find it inspiring?

http://www.etsy.com/listing/74747877/vintage-crocheted-southwest-pillow

Have a fabulous day,
Emma, x

mieke willems said...

wow love this sampler, but you also made a great thing out of it! so nice colors!

Hena Tayeb said...

It looks great.. love the pattern