Monday, November 9, 2009

Inspiration: Andrea Myers





I am incredibly excited by this discovery. It's something I've had buzzing on the periphery of my brain for a while now and then I found the amazing work of Andrea Myers and it felt like all the lights came on! ;) These arts pieces are constructed from layers and layers of cloth and paper, and explore the space between the two-dimensional and three-dimensional. I love how the pieces have such a sumptuous wild form, and yet there is that delicate fine art appeal to them as well in the strips of cloth that could almost be brush strokes. Myers says in her artist's statement "I identify myself as a painter who constructs painterly sculptures and installations." So inspiring! For more information and images, visit her website here. I found this work via the ever-fabulous Please Sir here.

11 comments:

Kate said...

These are fantastic, Kylie! Really, really inspiring.

Kickcan & Conkers said...

Amazing work again Kylie. Funny because I've just been looking at some photos of Sophie Cuvelier's installations made from strips of coloured fabric, reminds me a bit of that. Both powerful and fragile, nice.

Sandrine said...

Great inspiration thanks...amazing!

Ooty said...

Love it!!!

Lille Diane said...

I LOVE your blog! This artist is amazing. I will have to dive in with both feet and yummy up all the great "food" you've served up here...plus your own wonderful work. Thank you!

ELK said...

i feel a certain kinship to a paper and fabric loving person...this is stunning yet subtle as well

Mitsy / ArtMind said...

Wow, that first piece is amazing! I love all the energy the colors display!
Check out this tutorial, might be something you and your girls would like to make sometime:
http://martaandthe.blogspot.com/2009/10/tutorial-1-my-rag-tabouret.html

Fine Little Day said...

Very inspiring, thank you.

edward and lilly said...

Amazing, it really does have a painterly feel to it.

annamaria potamiti said...

Gorgeous work Kylie- Thank you for doing such great research for us all.
Annamaria xx

handmaiden said...

Kylie, I love all yr inspiration posts and I can see yr red shopper has taken on some of this